Saturday, November 13, 2004

My New Pets



The two lovers...



Dalí ...



... and Gala


The story is quite simple: I was doing errands (mostly bank errands, the most depressing and tedious errands of all kinds). I was at El Señorial Plaza (the most depressing mall, go figure, perfect place for the most depressing errands). I had just finished paying this month's installment for the car plus some late fees. I was walking back to my car and I passed by the pet store. Now, usually I'm not very fond of these places since they sell what will never be rightfully ours: another life. Plus they keep the dog-breeding industry alive while there are millions of stray/mixed-breed dogs out there begging to be adopted. Why have a snooty poodle when you can have faithful, playful mongrelSpot! :-D

Well, what caught my attention was a big cage with five tortoises (I love turtles and tortoises). It mostly caught my attention cuz these animals were outlawed years ago in the island (basically cuz of salmonella epidemics due to high contact with them). I was talking to Mom on the phone in the meanwhile and I was telling her all about it. I started touching one of them under the paw and it snapped at me! Nasty ho's!

Well, I turned my attention to the parrakeets. I have never been a fan of caged birds , but these two struck me as an explicitly happy couple. I put my finger to the cage, expecting them to screech in fear and scuttle away, but the male just got closer and nibbled at my finger softly. I was as hooked as I would have been with a pup.

I bought them and brought them home. Meet our new family members: Dali and Gala! :D

No comments: