Wednesday, September 22, 2004

The Process of Job Hunting

So! It's been more than a month, to be honest, it's been a month and 16 days since my last day as a worker. Since then, maybe even since before, I've been looking for a new job. No one said it would be easy, but then again, I never thought it would become this hard. Maybe because I don't have another job to fall back on, maybe beacause my days are filled with longing... not only for a satisfying job, but for the compensation that goes with it... the thing that "moves the world around": money.

I wouldn't consider myself materialistic, but everyone knows you need money to survive and procure yourself the most basic commodities. Right now, thanks to my mother, I haven't been wanting on the most basic things, plus a few other vices and privileges as well. However, I hate to be a clinger,

Yesterday I went to yet another interview. The second one with Evertec, It went well, I suppose, because I was selected as part of a (small?) group to go through the last phase: checking references. This is where I get anxious, because even if I am very aware that I had no quarrel with my previous employer and clients, nonetheless there's the small detail that to them, to my ex-employers, I am supposed to be in North Carolina. Puzzlement will ensue. Puzzlement brings unpredictability.

Alex, as I got to know him for two years as a boss, was a good man. A fair boss. One to keep his moods in check... too much in check, to be honest. Most of the times I couldn't really read his moods. That made him unpredictable by nature, at least to me... and that makes for a relatively dangerous situation.

Now that they will learn that I am not on the other side of the Atlantic, a Pandora's box will open.

And knowing the intricacies of personal trusts that rule the world at D&A, certain someone else will know for sure I am here ... and avoiding him. Maybe he already knows. Maybe he even reads this blog. I have taken all the risks quite unconcernedly. But now he could know for sure. I just hope a personal vendetta does not ensue.

No comments: