Thursday, March 03, 2005

Counting down

... to 27. Suddenly mistery surrounds me, everyone's slithering around, planning and keeping secrets, giving me half truths. Mind you, I'm not complaining. It's actually very funny. But it still amazes me that they go to such pains to give me, in the end, a good time. Just 'cuz I turn 27.

Old, down-the-hill 27. It's funny how different the real "27" seems from the "27" I imagined 10 years ago. I feel younger and less committed to society's norm than I thought I would be.

I do not have the proverbial suburbia house with the office-mongering husband, the 2.5 kids and the Labrador dog in the backyard and calico cat in the house. I do not have a job to which I go every day clad in a gray suit and silver earrings, gelled hairstyle and an attitude to boot. I have not given up the music I listened to 10 years ago, and most of the dreamy love for life is still very much there, stronger still.

I do not feel older than 17, even if the gray hairs are peeking through the black dye and the extra pounds have installed themselves comfortably around my waist and hips. I still feel I have a lot ahead of me. I am not yet "made", and don't plan to be for a long while. My goals for life are not yet definite, my choices in life not yet definitive. I still want to have fun, I'm not yet done with that.

I still feel, deep down, in my heart, that I would love to go back to 21 years ago in my life.



Still a kid at heart.

1 comment:

Orianna said...

hair care! jajajjaja! lack thereof, you might say. but i like it the way it is, and i'm considering letting the gray hairs grow and stop dyeing my hair altogether. It's amazing what age does to a body, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse, but it's always interesting. Gray hairs, specially the fact that mine grow in just a certain spot right in the center of my hairline, are a way of nature making up for the extra pounds. :-D